Our Musical Director
We welcomed Ingrid Schoenfeld as our Musical Director in 2019.
Ingrid Schoenfeld is a classical pianist and accomplished teacher. She completed her Bachelor of Music in Classical Performance with first-class Honours at the New Zealand School of Music.
She has learned primarily from Richard Mapp as well as Dr. Jian Liu, and has played in masterclasses for Diedre Irons, Janos Cegledy, Paul Rickard-Ford, Natalia Sheludiakova, and the New Zealand String Quartet, among others. In addition to piano, she also studied harpsichord for three years under prominent early music specialists Dr Erin Helyard and Douglas Mews.
She made her orchestral debut in 2016 with the Nelson Symphony Orchestra, playing Shostakovich’s 2nd piano concerto.
Ingrid studied conducting at the New Zealand School of Music under Kenneth Young, and has conducted and accompanied multiple choirs around Wellington, including the Northern Chorale, St. James church choir, and the St. Mary of the Angels Youth Choir.
She sang with the St. Mary of the Angels church choir for two years, was a reserve member in the New Zealand Youth Choir, and currently sings in the Wellington Cathedral Choir under Michael Stewart.
In addition to performing regularly in solo, chamber, and choral concerts, she runs a successful teaching studio.
Ingrid has many exciting, creative ideas and the choir has a bright future under her leadership.
Ingrid was Festival Singer’s Accompanist from the start of 2018 to mid-2019.
Sing with us in 2021
You are welcome to come along to any of our rehearsals at 7-9pm on Monday nights at Newlands Christian Assembly, 126 Newlands Road, Newlands, Wellington
Festival Singers has a varied and exciting programme planned for 2021 (Click here for details).
- We sing traditional and new choral repertoire.
- As a new member of the choir in 2021 you will learn a wide variety of sacred and secular music in many different styles and really expand your musical horizons.
- We usually perform three concerts each year, and most concerts are recorded, so members can buy a CD or mp3 files to keep as a personal reminder.
We rehearse on Monday nights at 7-9pm from February to early December at Newlands Christian Assembly, 126 Newlands Road, Newlands, Wellington.
- This is a central location for people in the wider Wellington metro area.
- There is plenty of free parking at the church and car pools operate from several areas.
- You can also use public transport as the venue is on the Newlands bus route with a stop outside the church.
- The church is a warm and comfortable venue.
We are a professionally led choir.
- Our Musical Director is Ingrid Schoenfeld, who is also a talented concert pianist and music teacher. Ingrid has many exciting, creative ideas and the choir has a bright future under her leadership.
- Our accompanist is Dr Jonathan Berkahn, who is a is a skilled conductor, organist, composer of attractive singable music and a music teacher.
Our joining process is easy. No formal audition is required.
- Come to 3 rehearsals without obligation to try us out.
- Then book an informal voice review with the Musical Director. At the review you will present a song of your choice and sing some scales to find your vocal range. The Musical Director will talk to you about note reading, learning repertoire, time commitment, your musical background and give you feedback on your singing.
- Our Chairperson will also talk to you about the choir’s ethos and approach.
- If you are unable to attend a rehearsal, we request that you text in an apology. This ensures that we maintain the caring quality our choir is known for.
Festival Singers is an affordable choir.
- Our annual membership subscriptions for 2020 are $250 for adults and $225 members in the same houshold. (Adult annual subscriptions come to about $6 per rehearsal.)
- Full time students pay just $100 for a full year.
- Members can pay subscriptions in instalments by arrangement with the Treasurer.
- To keep these rates low, we have at least one fundraiser a year which is easy to sell to our supporters, such as a Lighthouse Film evening.
We currently have 30 members and are looking to increase this to 40 or more singers in 2021.
- Festival Singers was founded in 1976 to promote new forms of Christian music and, as a well-established choir with a mix of long-time and newer members, has evolved into a greater Wellington community-focused choir.
- Each year we support a good cause by taking a donation / koha at our Christmas concert.
- We also collaborate with other choirs and musical groups (Tawa Orchestra and Northern Chorale in 2018) from time to time.
Many choir members are Christian and the music we sing often lets them express their faith.
- All ages and faiths are welcome.
- We would love you to become part of Festival Singers’ tradition.
We know you will make new friends in our supportive community choir.
If you have any further questions, please contact:
- Ingrid Schoenfeld (Musical Dirtector) Ingrid Schoenfeld firstname.lastname@example.org, mobile 027 240 6669 or
- Philip Garside (Secretary) email@example.com
- home 475 8855
Video interviews with choir members
Click the images to run the videos
Here’s a short interview with Megan about being part of Festival Singers. Our contact details are at the end of the video.
Here’s a short interview with Joe about being part of Festival Singers and one of his recent concert highlights. Our contact details are at the end of the video.
Diana, who has been a member of the choir since 1982, talks with Philip about why Festival Singers is special for her.
The choir is registered under the Charities Act 2005.
Donations made to the choir are tax-deductible in New Zealand.